- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small shallots, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1pound mustard greens or kale, stems removed and leaves sliced into 1-inch strips
- juice from 1 lemon
- 2teaspoons light brown sugar
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 14.5-ounce can vegetable broth
- 1 28-ounce can whole or diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 15-ounce can white beans, drained
- 1 1/2teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2teaspoon black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-low heat. Add the shallots and cook for 4 minutes. Add the garlic and greens and cook, stirring frequently, until the greens begin to wilt, 3 to 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice, the brown sugar, bay leaf, red pepper, broth, and tomatoes and their juices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently until the greens are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Add the beans and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and discard the bay leaf. Season with the salt, black pepper, and (if desired) the remaining lemon juice.