Steak With Mushroom Sauce and Cauliflower Puree
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 small head cauliflower (about 1 1/2 pounds), cut into small florets
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds skirt steak, cut into 4 pieces
- 10 ounces cremini mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
- 1/2 cup red or white wine
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Steam the cauliflower in a large pot until very tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Transfer to a food processor, add the butter, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and puree until smooth.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper and cook, 3 to 5 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest for 5 minutes before slicing; reserve the skillet.
- Add the mushrooms to the drippings in the skillet and cook, tossing occasionally, until browned and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add the wine and cook, stirring occasionally, until slightly reduced and syrupy, 2 to 3 minutes more; season with ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.
- Serve the steak with the cauliflower puree. Top with the mushroom sauce and sprinkle with the parsley.
- Per Serving
- Calories 391
- Fat 20g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 75mg
- Sodium 604mg
- Protein 41g
- Carbohydrate 11g
- Sugar 5g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 77mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .