Steak With Cognac Sauce and Salad
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 servings frozen waffle fries
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds strip or skirt steak
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 cup cognac or brandy
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 small head romaine lettuce, torn
- 1/4 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces blue cheese, crumbled (1/2 cup)
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- Cook the fries according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the steak with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook to the desired doneness, 2 to 3 minutes per side for medium-rare. Let rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Remove the skillet from heat and carefully add the cognac. Return to medium-high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the cream and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes more.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss the romaine, onion, and blue cheese with the vinegar, the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Serve with the steak, sauce, and fries.
- Per Serving
- Calories 678
- Fat 39g
- Sat Fat 16g
- Cholesterol 126mg
- Sodium 693mg
- Protein 41g
- Carbohydrate 31g
- Sugar 4g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 185mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Waffle fries also make a tasty base for canapés: top them with a dollop of sour cream or a piece of smoked salmon and sprinkle with herbs.