- 8 ounces gemelli or fusilli pasta
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 large yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium carrot, thinly sliced lengthwise, cut into 1½-inch matchsticks
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 yellow bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 2 medium zucchini, thinly sliced lengthwise, cut into 1½-inch matchsticks
- 2 cups grape tomatoes, quartered
- 8 cups Easy Homemade Parmesan Broth (recipe below) or vegetable broth
- Shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley, for serving
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions. Drain and reserve.
- Meanwhile, cook the garlic, onion, carrot, salt, and black pepper in the olive oil in a large pot over medium until just tender, about 10 minutes. Add the bell pepper, zucchini, and grape tomatoes and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 5 minutes more. Add the broth. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the pasta to warm and serve, garnished with shaved Parmesan and chopped parsley.
Easy Homemade Parmesan Broth
Combine 12 oz. Parmesan cheese rinds with 2 yellow onions (sliced), 3 medium carrots (peeled and sliced), 1 smashed garlic clove, and 4 bay leaves in a large pot. Add 5 quarts cold water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until flavorful, 30 minutes. Strain and cool completely. Makes 4½ quarts (18 cups).
Per 1 cup serving: 50 calories; 2.5g fat (1.5g saturated fat); 10mg cholesterol; 190mg sodium; 3g protein; 4g carbohydrates; 1g sugar; 1g fiber; 0mg iron; 95mg calcium.