Spring Chicken Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 ribs celery, halved crosswise
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1 turnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the carrots, celery, onion, and salt. Add enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes, skimming off any foam that appears. Add additional water as necessary to keep the chicken covered.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Remove and discard the carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add the green beans, asparagus, tomato, and turnip to the broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. Ladle into individual bowls.
- Per Serving
- Calories 294Calories From Fat 18%
- Fat 6g
- Sat Fat 2g
- Cholesterol 138mg
- Sodium 914mg
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Fiber 5g
- Sugar 6g
- Protein 45g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For a quicker version of this soup, simmer the vegetables in 8 cups store-bought low-sodium chicken broth until tender, about 5 minutes. Shred the meat from 1 rotisserie chicken and stir it in during the last minute of cooking. Taste the soup for seasoning before adding more salt.