- 1 3 1/2-pound chicken, cut into pieces
- 3 medium carrots, halved crosswise
- 2 ribs celery, halved crosswise
- 1 medium yellow onion, quartered
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 4 ounces green beans, cut into small pieces
- 8 ounces asparagus, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 beefsteak tomato, diced
- 1 turnip, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Place the chicken in a large pot with the carrots, celery, onion, and salt. Add enough cold water to cover (about 8 cups). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer gently for 45 minutes, skimming off any foam that appears. Add additional water as necessary to keep the chicken covered.
- Transfer the chicken to a plate and let cool. Remove and discard the carrots, celery, and onion.
- Add the green beans, asparagus, tomato, and turnip to the broth and simmer until the vegetables are tender, about 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken meat, discarding the skin and bones. Add the meat and pepper to the soup and stir to combine. Ladle into individual bowls.