Split-Pea Soup With Ham
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 carrot, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 pound baked or deli ham, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2 pound dried split peas (1 cup)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- croutons, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth, ham, split peas, and thyme to the saucepan; season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until the peas are tender, 55 to 65 minutes. Top with croutons.
- Per Serving
- Calories 420
- Fat 18g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 43mg
- Sodium 1,266mg
- Protein 30g
- Carbohydrate 36g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 13g
- Iron 3mg
- Calcium 42mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
The soup can be made in advance and refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for up to 3 months.