- 2tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1 carrot, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, chopped (1/3 cup)
- 6cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2pound baked or deli ham, chopped (2 cups)
- 1/2pound dried split peas (1 cup)
- 1tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- kosher salt and black pepper
- croutons, for serving
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and celery and cook until tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add the broth, ham, split peas, and thyme to the saucepan; season with ¾ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Reduce heat and simmer until the peas are tender, 55 to 65 minutes. Top with croutons.