Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 pounds spinach (or 3 10-ounce bags)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan
- 1/2 cup ricotta cheese
- 2 scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced
- 1 egg
- 1 1/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 1-pound package phyllo dough, defrosted (12 sheets)
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- In a skillet, combine lemon juice, water, garlic cloves, and 1 teaspoon kosher salt. Bring to a simmer and cook spinach in batches until just wilted. Drain and set aside.
- Heat oven to 400° F. In a large bowl, combine the spinach, Parmesan, ricotta, scallions, egg, salt, and pepper. Mix well and set aside.
- Fold 1 sheet of phyllo in half crosswise and place on a lightly greased baking sheet. Brush the top with some of the butter. Top with another folded sheet and brush with more butter. Repeat one more time. Leaving a 2-inch border around the edges, place 1/4 of the spinach mixture at one end of the pastry. Roll up the pastry, tucking in the sides. Brush with more butter. Repeat to make 3 more individual pockets.
- Bake in the oven until puffed and golden, about 30 minutes.
- Per Serving
- Calories 588
- Calcium 364mg
- Carbohydrate 71g
- Cholesterol 100mg
- Fat 24g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 3mg
- Protein 22mg
- Sat Fat 12g
- Sodium 453mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .