Spicy Vegetable Tagine With Couscous
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 2 large carrots, scrubbed and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored and cut into thin strips
- 2 1/2 cups vegetable stock or canned broth
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 small cinnamon stick
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 large zucchini, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup golden raisins
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 cup instant couscous
- In a large, high-sided skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the onion and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic, carrots, bell pepper, stock, and spices and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the zucchini, eggplant, raisins, and half the cilantro and continue cooking until tender, about 25 to 30 minutes. Season to taste with salt.
- Prepare the couscous according to the package instructions for 4 servings. Serve with the tagine garnished with the remaining
- Per Serving
- Calories 348
- Calcium 73mg
- Carbohydrate 61g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 8g
- Fiber 10g
- Iron 2mg
- Protein 10mg
- Sat Fat 1g
- Sodium 1992mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
If pressed for time, use packages of presliced vegetables found at most supermarkets.