Spicy Tortilla Soup
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 9-ounce package soft corn tortillas
- 2 32-ounce boxes or cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups shredded rotisserie chicken
- 1 large red onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 large tomatoes, diced
- 2 medium jalapenos, sliced
- juice of 1 lime
- 2 ears grilled corn
- 1 1/2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 ripe avocado, peeled and cubed
- 8 ounces crumbled Feta cheese, queso blanco, or other fresh white cheese
- Heat oven to 350° F. Cut the tortillas into 1/2-inch strips. Arrange on a baking sheet and bake 8 to 10 minutes or until crispy.
- In a large saucepan, simmer the chicken broth and meat for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the red onion, tomatoes, jalapeños, and lime juice. Heat about 5 minutes. Cut the corn from the cobs and add it to the soup.
- Divide the tortilla strips among 4 bowls. Ladle in the soup and top with cilantro, avocado, and cheese.
- Per Serving
- Calories 666
- Calcium 389mg
- Carbohydrate 58g
- Cholesterol 118mg
- Fat 31g
- Fiber 11g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 47mg
- Sat Fat 12g
- Sodium 888mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To save time, buy unsalted baked tortilla chips instead of starting with whole tortillas. You'll need about half of a 10-ounce bag for this recipe.