- 1 1/2pounds sweet potatoes (about 3 large potatoes), rinsed
- 1tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1tablespoon red curry paste (found in the international section of markets)
- 1 15-ounce can unsweetened coconut milk
- 3cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 3 1/2tablespoons lemon juice
- 1teaspoon kosher salt
- 1tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1/2cup fresh cilantro sprigs
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Put the sweet potatoes on an oven rack and bake for 50 minutes or until tender. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Heat the vegetable oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Sauté the onion and ginger until the onion softens, about 5 minutes. Stir in the curry paste and cook for 1 minute. Add the coconut milk and broth and gently bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer, partially cover, and cook for 5 minutes.
- Skin the potatoes and cut into 1-inch chunks. Add the potatoes to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice and salt.
- Ladle the soup into serving bowls. Drizzle the sesame oil evenly over the servings. Garnish with the cilantro.