Spicy Shrimp With Peas and Curried Rice
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4 pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes. Add the curry powder, 1¾ cups water, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until opaque through-out, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with the crushed red pepper.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the skillet. Add the shallot and peas and cook, tossing occasionally, until the shallots are tender and the peas are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the mint, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Serve the rice with the shrimp, peas, and lime wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 498
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 1g
- Cholesterol 215mg
- Sodium 652mg
- Protein 37g
- Carbohydrate 54g
- Sugar 4g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 7mg
- Calcium 121mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Real Simple is working with Let's Move!, the Partnership for a Healthier America, and USDA's MyPlate to give anyone looking for healthier options access to a trove of recipes that will help them create healthy, tasty plates. For more information about creating a healthy plate, visit choosemyplate.gov.