- 3tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1cup long-grain white rice
- 2teaspoons curry powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/4pounds peeled and deveined large shrimp (raw)
- 1/4 to 1/2teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 large shallot, sliced
- 1 10-ounce bag frozen peas, thawed
- 1/2cup chopped fresh mint
- 1tablespoon fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a medium pot over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the rice and cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes.
- Add the curry powder, 1¾ cups water, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and stir to combine. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until the rice is tender, 18 to 22 minutes. Remove from heat and let stand, covered, for 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Season the shrimp with ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper and cook, tossing frequently, until opaque through-out, 4 to 6 minutes. Transfer to a plate and sprinkle with the crushed red pepper; reserve the skillet.
- Add the remaining tablespoon of oil to the drippings in the skillet. Add the shallot and peas and cook, tossing occasionally, until the shallots are tender and the peas are heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Mix in the mint, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper.
- Serve the rice with the shrimp, peas, and lime wedges.