Spanish chorizo (cured sausage), sliced 1/4 inch thick
leeks (white and light green parts), thinly sliced
clove garlic, chopped
28-ounce can diced tomatoes
kosher salt and pepper
grits or polenta
corn kernels, fresh (from 4 ears) or thawed frozen
large bunch spinach, tough stems removed
- Cook the chorizo over medium-high heat in a large saucepan until browned, about 3 minutes. Spoon off and discard any fat.
- Add the leeks and garlic and cook, stirring until slightly soft, about 2 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes and their liquid, 2 cups water, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and bring to a boil.
- Stir in the grits. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook, stirring often, until the grits are tender and slightly thickened, about 10 minutes.
- Add the corn and spinach and cook, stirring, just until the spinach wilts. Divide among individual bowls.