Spicy Fried Chicken With Kale and Cabbage Slaw
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce (such as Tabasco), plus more for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 3-pound chicken, cut into 10 pieces (breasts cut in half)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1 small bunch kale (preferably lacinato, also labeled dinosaur or Tuscan kale), thick stems removed and leaves thinly sliced (4 cups)
- 1/4 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 4 to 5 cups canola oil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- corn bread, for serving
- special equipment: Deep-fry thermometer
- In a large bowl, combine the buttermilk, hot sauce, and 2 teaspoons each salt and black pepper. Add the chicken, turn to coat, cover, and refrigerate, turning occasionally, for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Meanwhile, in a second large bowl, whisk together the lemon juice, olive oil, sugar, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and black pepper. Add the kale and cabbage and toss to combine. Let sit, tossing occasionally, for at least 30 minutes and up to 1 hour.
- Heat 1 inch of the canola oil in a large Dutch oven until the temperature reaches 325° F on a deep-fry thermometer. In a shallow bowl, combine the flour and cayenne. Remove the chicken from the marinade (shaking off any excess) and coat with the flour mixture.
- Working in batches, fry the chicken, turning often, until golden brown and cooked through, 12 to 15 minutes. Drain on a wire rack or paper towel-lined plate; season with ½ teaspoon salt. Serve with the slaw, corn bread, and hot sauce.
- Per Serving
- Calories 621
- Fat 40g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 149mg
- Sodium 522mg
- Protein 49g
- Carbohydrate 16g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 3g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 135mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
No deep-fry thermometer? Drop a cube of bread in the oil. If it browns in 1 minute, the oil is ready.