- ¼ medium watermelon (about 2 pounds), cut into pieces
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ½ cup torn fresh mint leaves
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1½ pounds tri-tip or sirloin steak, cut into 16 pieces (about 1½ inches each)
- 8 red jalapeño peppers, cut into 1-inch-thick rings
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Heat grill to medium-high. Soak 8 wooden skewers for 10 minutes.
- Arrange the watermelon on a plate. Sprinkle with the onion, mint, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Thread the beef and jalapeños onto skewers and season with ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Grill, turning frequently, 6 to 8 minutes for medium-rare.
- Serve with the lime wedges and watermelon salad.