- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon curry powder
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2 cups dried red lentils
- 3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice, plus lemon wedges for serving
- 1 cup basmati or other long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, plus more for serving
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the carrots, onion, curry powder, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until tender, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add the lentils and 4 cups water and bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the lentils are very tender, 12 to 16 minutes. Stir in the lemon juice.
- Meanwhile, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Combine the yogurt, cilantro, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Serve the lentils over the rice, topped with the cilantro yogurt and additional cilantro leaves. Serve with the lemon wedges.