- 5 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled, plus more for shaping the cookies
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 cups unsalted butter (4 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup coarse sanding sugar or turbinado sugar
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, and salt; set aside.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar until smooth. One at a time, beat in 2 of the eggs; beat until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Mix in the vanilla extract.
- With the mixer on low, gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until just incorporated (the dough will be stiff). Shape into 2 disks and refrigerate, wrapped, for at least 1 hour and up to 3 days.
- Heat oven to 350° F. On a floured surface, roll pieces of the dough into ⅜ -inch-thick cords and cut into 6-inch lengths. Shape into twists, then place on parchment-lined baking sheets.
- Beat the remaining egg. Brush the twists with the beaten egg and sprinkle with the coarse sanding sugar.
- Bake until just beginning to brown, 15 to 18 minutes. Cool slightly on baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
- Keep at room temperature in an airtight container for up to 1 week.