Spaghetti With Meat Sauce and Mozzarella
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3/4 pound spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 3/4 pound ground beef chuck
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 pounds beefsteak or plum tomatoes, chopped
- 6 ounces bocconcini (fresh mozzarella balls), halved
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions; drain and return it to the pot.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the beef and cook, breaking it up with a spoon, until browned, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the tomato paste and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper and cook, stirring occasionally, until beginning to soften, 5 to 7 minutes more (add up to ¼ cup water if the pan is dry).
- Add the beef mixture, bocconcini, and basil to the pasta and toss to combine.
- Per Serving
- Calories 677
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 10g
- Cholesterol 84mg
- Sodium 606mg
- Protein 38g
- Carbohydrate 78g
- Sugar 8g
- Fiber 7g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 302mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .