Spaghetti With Turkey Meatballs (Reader Recipe From Nancy London)
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 28-ounce can tomato puree
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan, plus more for serving (2 ounces)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano, divided, plus more for serving
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 1/4 pounds ground turkey, preferably dark meat
- 16 saltine crackers, finely crushed (about 3⁄4 cup)
- 12 ounces spaghetti (3⁄4 box)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a Dutch oven or large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and half the garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add the tomato puree and paste, sugar, half the Parmesan, 1 tablespoon of the oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and 1½ cups water. Simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a large bowl, lightly beat the egg. Add the turkey, crackers, the remaining Parmesan, garlic, and oregano, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Shape the mixture into 12 meatballs (about 1½ inches each).
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and cook the meatballs, turning occasionally, until browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add to the sauce and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 25 to 30 minutes.
- Cook the spaghetti according to the package directions. Serve with the meatballs and sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan and oregano before serving.
- Per Serving
- Calories 956
- Fat 37g
- Sat Fat 9g
- Cholesterol 184mg
- Sodium 1,879mg
- Protein 53g
- Carbohydrate 107g
- Sugar 20g
- Fiber 11g
- Iron 11mg
- Calcium 345mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Save a cupful of pasta's cooking water. Add a bit if pasta seems dry after it's been tossed with sauce.