packed light brown sugar
low-sodium soy sauce
fresh lemon juice
Asian fish sauce
grated fresh ginger
crushed red pepper
boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 8)
long-grain white rice
snow peas, trimmed
heads baby bok choy, leaves separated
red bell pepper, sliced
scallions, cut into 2-inch lengths
cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, mix together the sugar, soy sauce, lemon juice, fish sauce, ginger, and crushed red pepper. Add the chicken and turn to coat.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Meanwhile, transfer the chicken to a plate. Pour the cooking liquid into a large skillet and boil until slightly thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a second large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the snow peas, bok choy, bell pepper, scallions, and garlic and cook, tossing frequently, until the vegetables are tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Season with ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Serve with the chicken and rice; drizzle with the cooking liquid.