- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 3 pounds short ribs (preferably flanken)
- 2 cups white rice
- 1/2 pound snap peas, sliced
- Combine the onion, garlic, vinegar, soy sauce, ginger, sugar, red pepper, and ¼ cup water in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Add the beef and turn to coat. Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Skim off and discard most of the fat.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Serve the beef over the rice, sprinkled with the sliced snap peas.