cloves garlic, thinly sliced
tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks, or one 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced, or hot sauce to taste
15.5-ounce can hominy, drained
fresh or frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the pepper, and the remaining salt and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños or hot sauce and hominy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with a spoonful of the cumin cream, and sprinkle with the cilantro (if desired). Serve the lime on the side.