- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 3/4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 tomatoes, cut into 1-inch chunks, or one 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 jalapeños, seeded and thinly sliced, or hot sauce to taste
- 1 15.5-ounce can hominy, drained
- 1 pound fresh or frozen medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1/2 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional)
- 1 lime, quartered
- In a small bowl, combine the sour cream, cumin, and ¼ teaspoon of the salt. Cover and refrigerate.
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute.
- Add the tomatoes and their juices, the pepper, and the remaining salt and bring to a simmer. Cook for 10 minutes.
- Add the jalapeños or hot sauce and hominy and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Add the shrimp and simmer until pink and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Ladle the soup into bowls, top with a spoonful of the cumin cream, and sprinkle with the cilantro (if desired). Serve the lime on the side.