Southern Indian Chicken Curry
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 tablespoons corn oil
- 2 medium red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 small jalapenos, halved lengthwise and seeded
- 2 to 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 2-inch piece fresh ginger, thinly sliced
- 4 to 5 tablespoons fresh lemon juice (from 2 lemons)
- 1 3/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 ripe yellow peaches, roughly chopped
- 1/2 cup canned unsweetened coconut milk
- 1/4 cup plain yogurt (optional)
- Indian flat bread or pitas (optional)
- Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Place the onions in skillet and cook for 5 minutes. Add the jalapeños, garlic, ginger, and 4 tablespoons of the lemon juice and cook for 5 minutes more. Transfer the mixture to a plate.
- Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of oil to skillet and raise heat to medium-high. Add the chicken and stir-fry until golden, about 8 minutes. Add the cayenne, coriander, cumin, mustard seeds, and salt and stir-fry for 2 minutes more. Add the peaches, onion mixture, and 1/2 cup water and simmer for 8 minutes.
- Stir in the coconut milk, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer gently for 2 minutes. Taste and add the remaining lemon juice, if necessary. Serve with the yogurt or flat bread, or both, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 444.45Calories From Fat 49%
- Calcium 50.16mg
- Carbohydrate 14.08g
- Cholesterol 109.64mg
- Fat 24.66g
- Fiber 2.44g
- Iron 2.73mg
- Protein 41.99mg
- Sat Fat 8.44g
- Sodium 382.04mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .