- 4pounds red potatoes (about 8), halved
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 2cups sour cream
- 1/2cup milk
- 4tablespoons (1/2 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 scallions, chopped
- Place the potatoes in a large pot and add enough cold water to cover. Add 2 teaspoons salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer until tender, 15 to 18 minutes. Drain the potatoes and return them to the pot.
- Add the sour cream, milk, butter, 1 teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper to the potatoes and mash to the desired consistency. Sprinkle with the scallions.