- 8 large eggs
- 2tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1teaspoon Dijon mustard
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 6tablespoons olive oil
- 4 anchovy fillets, finely chopped (optional)
- 2 cloves garlic, thinly sliced
- 4 1/2-inch-thick slices French or Italian bread, crusts removed and cut into 1/2-inch-wide sticks
- 2 bunches frisée or one 5-ounce bag mixed greens
- Fill a saucepan with 4 inches of water and bring to a boil. Place 1 egg (in the shell) on a spoon and lower it into water. Repeat with remaining eggs.
- Return to a boil. Cook to the desired doneness, about 6 minutes for runny yolks. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the eggs to a bowl.
- In a bowl, whisk together the vinegar, mustard, ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper, 3 tablespoons of the oil, and the anchovies (if desired); set aside.
- Heat the remaining oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the garlic and cook until golden, about 1 minute.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer the garlic to a plate. Add the bread sticks to the oil and cook, turning, until golden.
- Divide the greens among individual plates and sprinkle with the garlic and croutons. Crack the eggs, break them in half, and scoop them from the shells onto the salad with a spoon. Top with the vinaigrette and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper.