Smoky Pea Soup
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 ham bone from a roast or 1/2 cooked smoky bacon
- 1 pound green split peas
- 2 large carrots, coarsely chopped (2 cups)
- 2 large celery stalks, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped (1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 32-ounce cans chicken broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Combine all the ingredients in a large, heavy stockpot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 hours or until the vegetables are very tender, adding up to 2 cups more broth if necessary. Add salt, 1/2 teaspoon at a time, tasting after each addition.
- Per Serving
- Calories 454
- Calcium 83mg
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Cholesterol 62mg
- Fat 14g
- Fiber 18g
- Iron 4mg
- Protein 35mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 566mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
To extend the life of dried herbs, store half the container's worth in a baggie in the freezer.