- canola oil, for the grill
- 1 3 1/2- to 4-pound chicken
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/3 cup mayonnaise
- 1 clove garlic, chopped
- 2 pounds beefsteak tomatoes (about 2), sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs (such as chives, flat-leaf parsley, or basil)
- Heat grill to medium and set up an indirect-heat zone. Once it is hot, clean the grill grate with a wire brush. Just before grilling, oil the grill grate.
- Using kitchen shears, butterfly the chicken. Season the chicken on both sides with the paprika, ¾ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper. Grill, covered, breast-side up, over indirect heat until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of a thigh registers 165° F, 40 minutes to 1 hour.
- Meanwhile, combine the mayonnaise and garlic in a small bowl. Spread on the tomatoes. Sprinkle with the herbs and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Serve the tomatoes with the chicken.