- 2 15-ounce cans white beans, rinsed and drained
- 2tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4teaspoon black pepper
- 12 slices multigrain bread
- 1 small red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 cucumber, preferably hothouse (seedless), thinly sliced (peeled, if desired)
- 1 4- to 5-ounce container sprouts (such as alfalfa, radish, broccoli, or a combination)
- 2 avocados, pitted and thinly sliced
- In a medium bowl, combine the beans, oil, salt, and pepper. Roughly mash the mixture with the back of a fork.
- Place 8 of the bread slices on a work surface. Divide the mashed beans among them. Top with the onion, cucumber, sprouts, and avocado.
- Stack the open-faced sandwiches on top of one another, avocado-side up, to make 4 double-decker sandwiches. Top with the remaining 4 slices of bread.
- Slice each sandwich in half, if desired, and serve.