Slow-Cooker Vegetarian Chili With Sweet Potatoes
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 28-ounce can fire-roasted diced tomatoes
- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 1 15.5-ounce can kidney beans, rinsed
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1⁄2-inch pieces
- sour cream, sliced scallions, sliced radishes, and tortilla chips, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the onion, bell pepper, garlic, chili powder, cumin, cocoa, cinnamon, 1 teaspoon salt,
and ¼ teaspoon black pepper. Add the tomatoes (and their liquid), beans, sweet potato, and 1 cup water.
- Cover and cook until the sweet potatoes are tender and the chili has thickened, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4
to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Serve the chili with the sour cream, scallions, radishes, and tortilla chips.
- Per ServingServing Size: Serves 4
- Calories 240
- Fat 2g
- Sat Fat 0g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Sodium 1217mg
- Protein 11g
- Carbohydrate 47g
- Sugar 13g
- Fiber 13g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 134mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .