Slow-Cooker Red Wine Short Ribs
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 medium onions, cut into wedges
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 6 small carrots, peeled and cut in half crosswise
- 2 small parsnips, peeled and cut in quarters crosswise
- 1 ounce dried porcini mushrooms, rinsed
- 1 8.5-ounce jar sun-dried tomatoes, drained and cut in half lengthwise
- 1 small bunch sage
- 5 pounds short ribs
- kosher salt and pepper
- 1 bottle red wine
- 1 loaf crusty bread
- In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the onions, garlic, carrots, parsnips, mushrooms, tomatoes, and sage.
- Season the short ribs with 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and 3/4 teaspoon pepper and nestle them among the vegetables. Add the wine.
- Set the slow cooker to high and cook until the meat is tender and falls from the bones, 8-9 hours.
- Using a large spoon, skim off the excess fat and discard. Divide the ribs and vegetables among individual bowls and spoon the sauce over the top. Serve with the crusty bread.
- Per Serving
- Calories 1149Calories From Fat 33%
- Fat 42g
- Sat Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 217mg
- Sodium 2021mg
- Carbohydrate 88g
- Fiber 13g
- Sugar 26g
- Protein 87g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Because different slow-cooker models cook at different rates, the total time is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, or the escaping heat will slow the cooking). If the food is not done, continue cooking to the end of the suggested range.