Slow-Cooker Vegetable Stew
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 4 large carrots, diagonally sliced into 2-inch pieces (about 5 cups)
- 2 medium turnips, peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes (about 3 cups)
- 1 large onion, diced (about 1 cup)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 zucchini, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 16-ounce can chickpeas, drained
- Combine the carrots, turnips, onion, garlic, tomatoes (with their liquid), broth, salt, cumin, and pepper flakes in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Cook on low heat for 6 hours, or on high for 3 hours.
- Add the zucchini and chickpeas and cook 1 hour longer on low.
- Per Serving
- Calories 136
- Calcium 96mg
- Carbohydrate 28g
- Cholesterol 0mg
- Fat 1g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 1mg
- Protein 5mg
- Sat Fat 0g
- Sodium 1332mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Because different slow-cooker models cook at different rates, the total time is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, or the escaping heat will slow the cooking). If the food is not done, continue cooking to the end of the suggested range.