Slow-Cooker Tuscan Pot Roast
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 2 1/2- to 3-pound bottom-round pot roast
- 2 large onions, quartered
- 2 celery stalks, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large carrots, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 1/2-ounce package dried mushrooms (such as portobello)
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 28-ounce can whole plum tomatoes, chopped, liquid reserved
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and brown the roast on all sides. Transfer the roast to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- To the fat remaining in the skillet, add the onions, celery, carrots, and garlic. Cook, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the tomato paste and stir to coat the vegetables; transfer to the cooker. Pour the wine into the skillet and scrape up any browned bits; add the contents of the skillet to the cooker, along with the mushrooms, salt, oregano, and tomatoes (plus 1 cup of their liquid).
- Cook 8 hours on low heat, or 4 hours on high heat.
- Per Serving
- Calories 445
- Calcium 83mg
- Carbohydrate 18g
- Cholesterol 112mg
- Fat 21g
- Fiber 4g
- Iron 6mg
- Protein 41mg
- Sat Fat 5g
- Sodium 1232mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Because different slow-cooker models cook at different rates, the total time is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, or the escaping heat will slow the cooking). If the food is not done, continue cooking to the end of the suggested range.