- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 carrot, finely chopped (3/4 cup)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 pound ground pork
- 1 cup milk
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 6 14-ounce cans diced tomatoes
- 4 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Long pasta (such as pappardelle), for serving
- In a large skillet, combine the onion, celery, carrot, and olive oil and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until tender, about 10 minutes.
- Add the meat and cook, stirring frequently, until it loses its pink color. Add the milk. Increase heat to high and cook until the milk has evaporated. Transfer the mixture to a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Return the skillet to the heat and add the tomato paste; cook over low heat to reduce its bitterness, about 5 minutes. Add the tomato paste to the cooker, along with the tomatoes, salt, and nutmeg.
- Cook on low for 8 hours, or on high for 4 hours. Serve warm over pappardelle or some other long pasta.