Slow-Cooker Asian Short Ribs
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/2 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 8 beef short ribs (about 4 pounds)
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and halved crosswise
- 1 small green cabbage (about 1 pound), quartered
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced (optional)
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the soy sauce, sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, and red pepper. Add the short ribs and carrots and arrange in a single layer. Lay the cabbage on top.
- Cook, covered, on high for 5 to 6 hours (or on low for 7 to 8 hours―see note below), until the meat is tender and easily pulls away from the bone.
- Transfer the cabbage, short ribs, and carrots to plates. With a large spoon or ladle, skim the fat from the cooking liquid and discard.
- If the slow cooker is on the low setting, turn it to high. In a small bowl, whisk together the cornstarch with 1 tablespoon of water until smooth. Whisk into the cooking liquid and cook until thickened, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in the sesame oil. Spoon the sauce over the short ribs and vegetables and sprinkle with the scallions (if using).
- Per Serving
- Calories 831Calories From Fat 45%
- Fat 42g
- Sat Fat 17g
- Cholesterol 196mg
- Carbohydrate 41g
- Sodium 985mg
- Protein 70g
- Fiber 6g
- Sugar 27g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Instead of short ribs, you can use 4 pieces flanken ribs (about 3 pounds total) in this recipe. Flanken ribs come from the same part of the cow but are sliced across the bones into thin slabs about 3 ribs wide, whereas short ribs are usually cut between the bones.