Slow-Cooker Lemon Poppy-Seed Cake
Serves 6-8| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 6 tablespoons, granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With a mixer, and in another bowl, beat the butter and 1 1/4 cups of the granulated sugar on medium-high until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and slowly incorporate the flour mixture.
- Place a 15-inch piece of parchment paper in the bowl of a slow cooker, letting the excess come up the sides. Transfer the batter into the bowl of the slow cooker. Set the cooker to high and cook, covered, until set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Combine the lemon juice and the remaining granulated sugar in a bowl and drizzle evenly over the top of the cake. Holding the parchment paper, transfer the cake to a rack. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve with the whipped cream, if desired.
- Per Serving
- Calories 501Calories From Fat 43%
- Fat 24g
- Sat Fat 15g
- Cholesterol 118mg
- Sodium 235mg
- Carbohydrate 68g
- Fiber 2g
- Sugar 41g
- Protein 5g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
This recipe was tested in a 6-quart slow cooker. Because different models cook at different rates, the cooking time above is presented as a range. Check for doneness at the low end of the range (but not before, as the escaped heat will significantly slow the cooking). If the food is not done, cover and cook to the end of the suggested time range. If using a slow-cooker smaller than 6 quarts, the cooking time may take an additional hour or more, and results may vary.