- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 12 tablespoons unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1 1/4 cups plus 6 tablespoons, granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest, plus 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon poppy seeds
- 1 tablespoon confectioners' sugar
- whipped cream (optional)
- In a bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- With a mixer, and in another bowl, beat the butter and 1 1/4 cups of the granulated sugar on medium-high until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until fluffy, 2 minutes. Add the sour cream, vanilla, lemon zest, and poppy seeds and beat to combine. Reduce speed to low and slowly incorporate the flour mixture.
- Place a 15-inch piece of parchment paper in the bowl of a slow cooker, letting the excess come up the sides. Transfer the batter into the bowl of the slow cooker. Set the cooker to high and cook, covered, until set and a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean, about 2 1/2 hours.
- Combine the lemon juice and the remaining granulated sugar in a bowl and drizzle evenly over the top of the cake. Holding the parchment paper, transfer the cake to a rack. Let cool for at least 15 minutes. Dust with the confectioners' sugar and serve with the whipped cream, if desired.