Slow-Cooker Curried Chicken With Ginger and Yogurt
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1/3 cup tomato paste
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablesppon grated fresh ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 10)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups long-grain white rice
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk Greek yogurt
- 2 scallions, thinly sliced
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, whisk together the tomato paste, garlic, curry powder, ginger, cumin, and ¾ cup water. Add the onion and stir to combine. Place the chicken on top and season with 1 teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the chicken is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Just before serving, add the yogurt and ½ teaspoon salt to the chicken and stir to combine. Serve with the rice and sprinkle with the scallions.
- Per Serving
- Calories 463
- Fat 14g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 102mg
- Sodium 591mg
- Protein 34g
- Carbohydrate 48g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 2g
- Iron 4mg
- Calcium 68mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .