Slow Cooker Cuban Braised Beef and Peppers
Serves 4| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 1 28-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced 1/2 inch thick
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds flank steak, cut crosswise into thirds
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves
- In a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the tomatoes, bell peppers, onion, oregano, cumin, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Nestle the steak among the vegetables. Cook, covered, until the meat is tender and pulls apart easily, on high for 4 to 5 hours or on low for 7 to 8 hours.
- Twenty-five minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions.
- Using two forks, shred the beef and mix it into the cooking liquid. Serve with the rice and top with the avocado and cilantro.
- Per Serving
- Calories 556
- Fat 17g
- Sat Fat 5g
- Cholesterol 56mg
- Sodium 883mg
- Protein 44g
- Carbohydrate 55g
- Fiber 7g
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
This stew is a take on the hearty Cuban dish ropa viejo. The name means “old clothes” in Spanish, as the strips of meat and colorful vegetables are said to resemble a jumble of rags. Flank steak is traditional, but you can also use chuck.