Slow-Cooker Chipotle Beef Tacos With Cabbage and Radish Slaw
Serves 6| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 3 pounds beef chuck, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chopped canned chipotles in adobo sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 bay leaves
- kosher salt
- 4 cups thinly sliced cabbage (about 1⁄3 medium cabbage)
- 4 radishes, halved and thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons fresh lime juice, plus lime wedges for serving
- 12 6-inch corn tortillas
- sour cream, pickled jalapeño peppers, and hot sauce, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, toss together the beef, onion, garlic, chipotles, oregano, bay leaves, and 1 teaspoon salt.
- Cover and cook until the beef is very tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 3 ½ to 4 hours (this will shorten total cooking time).
- Twenty minutes before serving, heat oven to 350° F. In a large bowl, toss together the cabbage, radishes, cilantro, lime juice, and ¼ teaspoon salt. Wrap the tortillas in foil and bake until warm, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Transfer the beef to a medium bowl (reserve the cooking liquid) and shred, using 2 forks. Strain the cooking liquid through a fine-mesh sieve into the bowl with the beef and toss to combine.
- Fill the tortillas with the beef and slaw. Serve with the sour cream, jalapeños, hot sauce, and lime wedges.
- Per Serving
- Calories 431
- Fat 12g
- Sat Fat 4g
- Cholesterol 95mg
- Sodium 573mg
- Protein 51g
- Carbohydrate 30g
- Sugar 3g
- Fiber 6g
- Iron 5mg
- Calcium 98mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
For an authentic, tasty char, toast the tortillas (one at a time) directly over a low gas flame, moving and turning them using tongs. Keep warm in foil or a clean kitchen towel until ready to serve.