- 1 15.5-ounce can black beans, rinsed
- 3/4cup fresh orange juice
- 3/4cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2pounds boneless pork shoulder or butt, trimmed and cut into 2 pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1cup long-grain white rice
- fresh salsa, chopped avocado, and hot sauce, for serving
- Combine the beans, orange juice, broth, garlic, cumin, and oregano in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Season the pork with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper and place on top of the liquid. Cover and cook until the pork is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Transfer the pork to a bowl and shred the meat, using 2 forks; return it to the pot.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the rice according to the package directions. Serve topped with the pork mixture, salsa, avocado, and hot sauce.