- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef
- 1 28-ounce can diced fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- 3 medium zucchini (about 1 pound), cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- kosher salt and black pepper
- sour cream, cut-up avocado, and chopped fresh cilantro, for serving
- In a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker, combine the beef, tomatoes, beans, zucchini, onions, tomato paste, garlic, chili powder, oregano, 1½ teaspoons salt, and ½ teaspoon pepper.
- Cover and cook until the vegetables are tender and the meat is cooked through, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 4 to 5 hours (this will shorten total recipe time).
- Reserve half the chili for tomorrow’s dinner. Serve the remaining chili with the sour cream, avocado, and cilantro.
- Reheat and serve: Reheat the chili in a large saucepan over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally, for 10 to 15 minutes.