- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 3tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1teaspoon dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 1/2pounds beef chuck, cut into 2 pieces
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1/4cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2teaspoon grated lemon zest
- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4pound cavatelli or other short pasta
- grated Parmesan, for serving
- Combine the tomatoes (with their juices), tomato paste, onion, thyme, and 2 cloves of the garlic in a 4- to 6-quart slow cooker. Season the beef with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper; place on top of the liquid. Cover and cook until the beef is tender, on low for 7 to 8 hours or on high for 5 to 6 hours (this will shorten total recipe time). Shred the meat, using 2 forks.
- Combine the basil, lemon zest, oil, the remaining clove of garlic, and ¼ teaspoon each salt and pepper in a small bowl.
- Twenty minutes before serving, cook the pasta according to the package directions. Serve the pasta topped with the beef ragù. Garnish with the basil gremolata and grated Parmesan.