Slice-and-Bake Lemon Shortbread
Makes 36 cookies| Hands-On Time: | Total Time:
- 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
- 1/4 teaspoon fine salt
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- coarse sanding or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice on medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until the flour is incorporated.
- On a piece of parchment, press the dough together firmly to form into a rectangular block, 12 by 2 by 1 inches (use a ruler or metal spatula to square off the sides). Wrap in the parchment and refrigerate until firm, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Cut the dough into ⅓-inch-thick slices and place on baking sheets spaced 1 inch apart; sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.
- Per ServingServing Size: 1 cookie
- Calories 104Calories From Fat 46
- Fat 5g
- Sat Fat 3g
- Cholesterol 14mg
- Sodium 14mg
- Protein 1g
- Carbohydrate 13g
- Sugar 6g
- Fiber 0g
- Iron 0mg
- Calcium 3mg
What does this mean? See Nutrition 101 .
Readers—we heard you! We read your comments and have made adjustments to this recipe. We went down on the flour, upped the lemon zest, and replaced the vanilla with lemon juice. They are now lemony, snappy, and sure to please. Let us know if you give them another try. Happy baking.