Makes 36 cookies
all-purpose flour, spooned and leveled
(2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
finely grated lemon zest, plus 2 teaspoons lemon juice
coarse sanding or turbinado sugar for sprinkling
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour and salt.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter, granulated sugar, lemon zest and juice on medium speed until fluffy, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and gradually add the flour mixture, mixing until the flour is incorporated.
- On a piece of parchment, press the dough together firmly to form into a rectangular block, 12 by 2 by 1 inches (use a ruler or metal spatula to square off the sides). Wrap in the parchment and refrigerate until firm, about 3 to 4 hours.
- Heat oven to 350° F. Cut the dough into ⅓-inch-thick slices and place on baking sheets spaced 1 inch apart; sprinkle with the coarse sugar.
- Bake, rotating the baking sheets halfway through, until the edges begin to brown, 12 to 15 minutes. Cool slightly on the baking sheets, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Store the cookies in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 7 days.