- 1 English cucumber, sliced
- 1 cup rice vinegar
- ½ red chile (such as fresno), sliced
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- Kosher salt
- 2 carrots, sliced
- 1 small yellow squash, sliced
- 1 small fennel bulb, sliced
- Cut a small curved wedge from 2 sides of each cucumber slice to create a skull shape using a pairing knife. Poke holes in the top (wide end) of the cucumber to create the eyes using the flat end of a wooden skewer. Draw three thin lines below the eyes to create the mouth using the pointy end of the skewer.
- Combine the vinegar, chile, sugar, 2½ teaspoons salt, and ½ cup warm water in a bowl. Whisk until the sugar is dissolved. Add the cucumber, carrots, yellow squash, and fennel. Refrigerate for at least 24 hours and up to 1 month.