- 1tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1cup ketchup
- 1/4cup cider vinegar
- 1/4cup molasses
- 2tablespoons brown sugar
- 2tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1tablespoon chili powder
- 1/4teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring frequently, until softened, 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add the ketchup, vinegar, molasses, brown sugar, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, chili powder, cayenne (if using), ¾ cup water, ¼ teaspoon salt, and ½ teaspoon black pepper and simmer gently, stirring occasionally, until slightly thickened, 12 to 15 minutes. The sauce will keep in the refrigerator for up to 2 weeks.