- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 fennel bulb, chopped, plus fronds for serving
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 pound peeled and deveined medium shrimp
- 2 8-ounce bottles clam juice
- 1 14.5-ounce can diced tomatoes
- kosher salt and black pepper
- Heat the oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and chopped fennel and cook until softened, 6 to 8 minutes. Stir in the tomato paste.
- Add the shrimp, clam juice, tomatoes and their juices, and 1½ cups water to the saucepan. Season with ½ teaspoon salt and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Simmer until the shrimp are opaque, about 2 minutes. Sprinkle with the fennel fronds.