- 1/2cup plus 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 scallions, sliced, white and green parts separated
- 2 15.5-ounce cans black beans, rinsed
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 1pound peeled and deveined small shrimp
- 1 large egg white, beaten
- 1/2cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2cup cornmeal
- 8 6-inch corn tortillas, warmed
- cut up avocado, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, and lime wedges, for serving
- Heat 1 tablespoon of the oil in a small pot over medium heat. Add the scallion whites and cook, stirring, until softened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add the beans, ¼ cup water, and ½ teaspoon each salt and pepper. Cook until warmed through, 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in the scallion greens.
- Toss the shrimp with the egg white in a shallow bowl,. In a separate shallow bowl, combine the flour, cornmeal, ½ teaspoon salt, and ¼ teaspoon pepper. Add the shrimp and toss to coat.
- Heat the remaining ½ cup of oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Fry the shrimp, in batches, until golden, 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Serve the shrimp in the tortillas with the avocado, salsa, cilantro, hot sauce, sour cream, and lime wedges, alongside the beans.